Saturday 2 January 2010

A world of Gingerbread

My first time ever making gingerbread. For my initial attempt, I was told that it needed more ginger so I modified the recipe slightly and came up with these. I made over a hundred of these to give as Christmas gifts. I had a helping hand when it came to the decorations in the form of my brother. Spot the dog. Some designs were definitely quite artistic but they all tasted great :)




We also decided to make a gingerbread house which didnt turn out too badly considering it was the first time either of us had made one. I tried to make stained glass windows but they were less successful than my stained glass cookies coming up in another post.





For the gingerbread:

125g unsalted butter, softened
110g dark brown sugar
2.5 cups plain flour, sifted
1 egg yolk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4-6 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp mixed spice
270mls golden syrup
  • Preheat the oven to 160C
  • Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in a bowl until smooth
  • Stir in the remaining ingredients until its mixed properly
  • You may need to add a little more golden syrup if the mixture is crumbly
  • Knead the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to approximately 5mm in thickness.
  • Cut shapes using cookie cutters (or templates for the gingerbread house)
  • Place on a baking tray and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until they are brown
  • Cookies will harden once cool
  • Let your imagination run wild- decorate and enjoy!































No comments:

Post a Comment

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!