Sunday 7 March 2010

London Almond Cookies

These are one of my all time favourite cookies. I'm not sure why they're called London Almond cookies as I don't think it has any association with London but that's what I know them as. They are fairly time consuming to make but well worth the effort. They're highly addictive - I can never just have one! I managed to make over 100 cookies and probably ate about a quarter of it already! I've got lots of pictures as I was a little snap happy whilst making these.

Roast whole almonds 
Cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy
Add in 1 egg yolk
Add flour
Batter
Wrap a whole almond in batter
Bake until golden brown
Toast almond flakes in the oven
In the meantime, melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
Toasted almond flakes for the topping. You can also use 100s&1000s or other sprinkles
Dip cookies in melted chocolate and place in little paper cases. Top with roasted almond flakes.
Final result with a cross-section of 1 cookie
Think they look better with crushed almond flakes on top
Had some extra batter so I added in chocolate chips and oatmeal (leftover from making triple chocolate chip oatmeal cookies) and made mini cookies. Tasted great :)

125g butter
75g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
225g plain flour
150-200g (sorry can't remember how much) whole almonds (probably need 250-300g of whole almonds for the amount of batter made but I used what I had in my cupboard)
400g plain chocolate, melted
50g almond flakes

  • Preheat oven to 180C
  • Roast whole almonds for about 10 minutes, sitrring in between
  • Cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
  • Add in 1 egg yolk (if you use the whole egg, it will make your batter very sticky)
  • Stir in sifted flour
  • Wrap 1 whole almond in batter and shape into an oblong shape or into round balls
  • Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-12minutes until golden brown
  • Roast almond flakes in the oven until lightly browned - be careful not to burn them if your oven is already hot.
  • Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
  • Dip the cookies in the melted chocolate and place in a small paper case
  • Sprinkle toasted, crushed almond flakes on top or with a topping of your choice.
  • Refrigerate until chocolate has set
  • Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!