Monday 21 June 2010

Carrot pecan cake with maple syrup and orange buttercream



This is a special Father's Day Cake. My brother and I are having a friendly competition as to who's carrot cake is better. I chose a recipe from Fiona Cairns Bake & Decorate and it didn't fail to disappoint. The cake is really moist and spongy with a great flavour of carrots, pecan and orange.  The best bit about this cake for me is the buttercream icing. It had a hint of maple syrup which complemented the flavours of the cake really well. I think I'll add a little bit more maple syrup next time.


adding carrots

ready to go in the oven

fresh from the oven

with icing and pecan nuts

Happy Father's Day!!

For the cake


 175ml sunflower oil
60g pecan nuts, chopped
200g self raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
175g light muscovado sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
250g carrots, finely grated
Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
50g unsweetened dessicated coconut (I omitted this as I don't like coconut)

 
For the buttercream

 40g pecan nuts, chopped
80g unsalted butter
60g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp maple syrup
150g unsalted cream cheese
Juice of 1 orange

 
  • Preheat the oven to 160C
  • Oil a 23cm diameter, 7.5cm deep, round tin and line the base with baking parchment.
  • Scatter the pecans – both for the cake and buttercream – on to a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5-10 minutes, shaking once and watching carefully so they don’t burn. Measure out, separate and set aside the amounts needed for the cake and buttercream.
  • Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl.
  • In an electric mixer, slowly beat together the oil and sugar for a minute or so until smooth, then gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
  • Using a large spoon, gently fold in the carrot, zest, pecans, coconut and finally the flour mixture.
  • Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Beat the icing sugar and maple syrup until really light and fluffy (approx 5 mins)
  • In another bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth then fold it into the butter mixture.
  • Finally, add the orange juice.
  • Spread over the top of the cake and scatter with the pecan nuts.

 

15 comments:

  1. How delicious! I love a good carrot cake. I really like the sound of your buttercream too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He must have been very chuffed with that cake, it looks absolutely scrumptious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happened upon your blog. Love the super recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I also love the plate and spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds divine. I adore carrot cake but never had it with maple icing before. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some quality information here that any reader would enjoy Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see your next update.

    ReplyDelete

  8. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to generate a top
    notch article.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Thanks so much for the blog post.Really looking forward to read more

    ReplyDelete

  11. I like it when people get together and share views. Great website.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!