Thursday 23 June 2011

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes


I was really excited when I saw that this month's We Should Cocoa Challenge is strawberries. I love strawberries especially in the summer.  I've been watching quite a bit of Top Chef Canada recently and one of the wins was with a strawberry shortcake.  I decided immediately that I wanted to make a chocolate strawberry shortcake for this month's challenge and almost ran out of time but I'm glad I made it! The dough was very easy to make but it took a while to roll and cut the dough, bake and then assemble the shortcake.  It was well worth it though as it was really delicious - chocolatey goodness in the shortcake which is a little heavy with the light freshness of fresh strawberries and cream. Perfect for summer. 


 mixing ingredients for dough

 freshly baked 

 to assemble 

 voila! 

Makes approximately 21
400g plain four
60g cocoa powder
4 teaspoons baking powder
120g unsalted butter, diced
120g caster sugar 
2 large eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10-12 tablespoons of milk
450g fresh strawberries
300ml double cream, whipped
icing sugar to taste (for the cream) 

  • Preheat the overn to 230C. 
  • Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl.
  • Add the butter and rub in with the fingertips.
  • Stir in the sugar.
  • Beat the eggs with the vanilla extract and stir in.
  • Add enough milk to form a soft, but not sticky dough. 
  • Knead gently until smooth. 
  • Flour a work surface.
  • Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick. 
  • Cut out rounds with a cookie cutter, rekneading and cutting the trimmings as necessary. 
  • Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until risen and the bases sound hollow when tapped. 
  • Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes.
  • Hull and slice the strawberries.
  • Whip the cream with icing sugar if desired. 
  • Place some cream on the base of a shortcake, top with slices of strawberries and top with another shortcake. 
  • Top with some cream and decorate with another strawberry slice on top.


12 comments:

  1. I am loving the chocolate cersion of this! They look a proper girl's get together treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm where has the chocolate version been my whole life? I've always been meh about strawberry shortcake, but make it chocolate and I'm a happy woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't wait for strawberry season to start again! They look fabulous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea!! Chocolate and strawberries are perfect together, and your little chocolate strawberry shortcakes are just darling! I'll have to try this sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely delicious! A lovely chocolatey-strawberry-summery treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow these look so good ive never made strawberry shortcake before but its always appealed

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great - I bet they ooze all their filling in a really satisfying way when you take that first bite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the combination of strawberries and shortcake and it's even better with chocolate. I've not dared stack them up when I've made them, so well impressed. Thanks for participating in the challenge and sorry it's taken me so long to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty daaahling. These would be awesome for a chocolate themed afternoon tea like the Ritz does.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm those strawberries look so red and vibrant! I've never come across a chocolate version before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a perfect summer treat! I want to get in the kitchen and make some of these for a picnic or a garden gathering, so simple yet so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!