Monday 1 August 2011

Apple Crumble


I made these quite a few months back but have only got round to blogging about it now. A good friend of mine came to stay with me earlier this year and she bought me these cute Le Creuset minis which are absolutely adorable. Thank you again Angie! 

I decided to make apple crumble as I had leftover apples from making apple and olive oil cake for my friend's birthday. The same friend also loves apple crumble and could not believe I've never made my own. Yes I don't know how but fortunately I can now say I have made my own crumble and I'm wondering why I've not made it earlier! It's really simple to make and extremely tasty especially with a big scoop of ice cream (or cream or custard but we didn't have any of those). 

Another friend was moving house and a few of us helped him move. I cooked dinner and made apple crumble as dessert which was well received after a hard day's labour. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for recipes in my mini Le Creuset? (preferably sweet but I could probably manage savoury as well) 


 my lovely mini Le Creuset 

 Apple with cinnamon and sugar 

 Add the crumble 

 freshly baked 

 served with ice cream 

For the crumble
150g plain flour
75g brown sugar 
100g butter (My friend recommends equal butter to flour but I resisted!) 

For the filling
4 bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
50g brown sugar 
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. 
  • Cut the butter into cubes.
  • Rub a few cubes of butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. 
  • Repeat until all the butter is used up. 
  • Place the apples in a large bowl.
  • Sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon and mix well. 
  • Spoon the apples into the dish and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
  • Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture is bubbling. (You will need to increase the baking time if you are using a large dish instead of small ramekins like mine)

13 comments:

  1. I love the little mini Le Creusets, they are so cute! Got to get me some of those. I'd like creme brulee in them, or maybe chocolate fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using the Le Creusets to make the crumble is a great idea! The Le Creusets are very expensive here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that exact same purple one. I also bought a Le Creuset book with recipes for the 'Cocotte'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm...apple crumble- my No 1 pudding! How about a syrup sponge pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing. I recently made a strawberry and blackberry crumble - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so sweet in that baby Le Creuset! How about making sticky toffee puddings in there? Thats one of my all time favourites.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have these little pots too, they are so cute and the perfect individual size serving. Never thought of making apple crumble in them though, must rectify this ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I love those mini Le Creusets too, they come in such pretty colours! Maybe you could make mini lemon puddings or chocolate puddings/fondants in them? Mini apple crumbles sound lovely. I must admit to being a late starter to apple crumbles as well, don't know why, they're easy and really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @aveen - creme brulee or chocolate fondant sound great.

    @zoe - I'm so glad that I got them as gifts. I'm sure I'll make full use of them :)

    @cupcake Kelly - what do you think of the book? the reviews were average I think.

    @katescakesandbakes - mmm sponge syrup pudding. thanks!

    @kerrycooks - ooh strawberry and blackberry crumble sounds good. I love berries!

    @Heavenly Housewife - yes to sticky toffee pudding - I'm a new convert!

    @chele - they are really good, aren't they?

    @Jo - I love lemon puddings and chocolate fondant. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought the book as impulse purchase at the register. I've only made 2 things from it and they came out fine. If it only got average reviews probably best to skip it then.

    I also made a savory tomato tart tatin in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man I love le Cruesets!!! How much do they cost in the UK? It's flipping expensive over here.

    Love your profile pic. Your icing skillz have gone ultimate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.. I luv the colour of your Le Crueset. Haven't seen this colour over here. What a fantastic idea for using it with apple crumble. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have these little pots too, they are so cute and the perfect individual size serving. Never thought of making apple crumble in them though, must rectify this ASAP. cotton single bedsheet online , bridal bed sheets in karachi

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!