Wednesday 25 September 2013

Crispy Lemon Cake



Lemon cake is one of my faovurite cakes. I bookmarked this recipe as soon as I saw it in my Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook. It's a recipe by Juliana and the description reads "This tried and tested recipe was discovered in a cookery binder that Juliana inherited from her nan.  This sponge is drizzled with a lemony syrup that sets into a crispy, crunchy topping". Honestly, how could I resist?

I have to say the cake turned out perfectly and exactly as described. This was a huge hit at work and I've had repeated requests for more! Writing this makes me wish I could have another slice of the cake now! 

I'm entering this to bookmarked recipes hosted by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes.




 self raising flour, golden caster sugar, milk, 4 eggs, butter and lemon 

 adding lovely lemon zest 

 drizzling the lemon syrup 

 you can see the crispy, crunchy topping here 


Recipe from Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook page 130

For the cake
225g butter
340g caster sugar
4 eggs
340g self raising flour
grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
120ml milk

Crispy topping
225g caster sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest to decorate


  • Preheat the oven to 160C.
  • Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs, one at time, mixing well after each addition.
  • Add the lemon zest and juice.
  • Stir in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
  • Finally, add the milk. 
  • Spoon into a cake tin, level it and bake for about 1 hour until risen and golden brown. 
  • Prepare the topping by mixing the sugar and lemon juice until the sugar dissolves. 
  • When the cake comes out of the oven, prick all over with a skewer, then drizzle with lemon topping. 
  • Allow to cool in the tin completely before turning out.
  • Decorate with sprinkles of lemon zest.


11 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, Ros. I love lemon, especially when the seasons are changing. Odd I know:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to go past a good lemon drizzle. I think they're one the most satisfying bakes to make. So much flavour with minimum effort! Love that you've added zest to the topping as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! That looks amazing. My favorite part of a lemon drizzle cake is the topping and I love this amped up version! Also good to see a lemon cake that uses a good amount of lemon zest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite bit is also the topping. I usually add some extra lemon zest and juice to my lemon cakes.

      Delete
  4. I can never resist a lemon cake and the crunchy topping adds that extra element of yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good lemon drizzle cake has definitely got to have that crunchy topping - so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Lemon essential oil

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!