Monday 2 March 2015

Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam Muffins


Can you believe that it's Spring already? It felt like a long, cold winter so I'm really looking forward to the lighter days and warmer weather. I've decided to have a little spring clean of my blog and give it a makeover - do let me know what you think. It's not quite what I want but it's a start for now particularly as I'm not very tech savvy!

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will know how much I love peanut butter. I wanted to bake something for breakfast and decided on my favourite combination of peanut butter and jam but in a muffin form. I added peanut butter chips for extra flavour which worked really well. You can clearly taste the peanut butter and the jam added a lovely sweetness to the saltiness of the peanut butter. These are quite filling and make for a good breakfast. 



 adding the crunchy peanut butter

 adding the peanut butter chips 

 a generous teaspoon of strawberry jam in the middle of each muffin

 ready to go in the oven 

 I love how you can see the jam peeking through 


 You can still see the peanut butter chips

Makes 12 muffins
315g plain flour
100g caster sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
200g crunchy peanut butter
1 egg
250mls milk
100g peanut butter chips (optional - you can add chocolate chips if you prefer or omit completely)
strawberry jam
  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and baking powder. 
  • In a jug, whisk the egg lightly and add the milk.
  • Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk-egg mixture.
  • Stir briefly then stir in the crunchy peanut butter until just combined - don't over mix or your muffins will be tough! 
  • Finally stir through the peanut butter chips.
  • Half fill each muffin case with the batter.
  • Add a generous teaspoon or two of strawberry jam then top with the remaining batter.
  • Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.



8 comments:

  1. Oooo Ros I absolutely love that layer of jam. And peanut butter is high on my list of addictions right now so I'm currently wishing I had one of these for after my lunch. Love the new blog look too =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jam was my favourite bit and I put quite a lot of jam in it! I'm glad you like the new blog look :)

      Delete
  2. they are soooo good. I think peanut butter and jam must be a favourite of mine but i've never had it in a muffin, that it utter genius! Beautiful looking muffins x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom! These were so good I'm baking them again this week to keep in the freezer and I'm sure I'll be baking them again!

      Delete
  3. I have yet to try the peanut butter and jam combination, but this recipe looks like a real winner! Love the make over; the photo background really brightens up the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine! I like the photo background and would like to change the look further but one step at a time. You have to try peanut butter and jam - it's amazing!

      Delete
  4. Love the flavour combination and the new layout of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooohhhhh..... PBJ in muffin form! Yum!!!! Nice new image too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!